http://www.one.org Follow the Brown Rabbit...: 38+1=39

Follow the Brown Rabbit...

In stories we've heard and seen, some followed a White Rabbit that led them to adventure. This time however,you've followed a BROWN one named Padawan. Pada lived in our house,hopped on tiled floor,ate under the table,urinated&defecated by the door leading outside,and outlived 11 others.
I name this Blog after him.The brown rabbit who shared the same skin color as his surrogate family.Resilient&adaptive.Adventurous in his own rabbit way. October 2002 - April 2007

Thursday, July 13, 2006

38+1=39

Warning: do not take everything you read seriously.

Back in Grade 1, my highest grade was in Mathematics. And as my grade level increased, my Math grades seemed to decrease with it. A perfect negative correlation.

I don't have anything against math except that I never particularly loved Math 11 and 12 in Ateneo. And Trigonometry wasn't one of my favorite subjects in high school either. Physics class (as it still has some form of mathematics in it) was a yo-yo for me. low. high. medium low. HIGH. It was the extreme kind of yo-yo but I think it was mostly because back in highschool, my mind was preoccuppied with "more important" things.

Although I constantly express my slight dislike for the subject, I became part of the MEG (math enrichment group) which was a group of students tapped by teachers from different classes and levels because of... uhh special talents in math. I always felt like an outsider there because I really wasn't one of the math proteges. I had to study if I wanted high grades in Math and maybe that's just what happened during my junior year. I studied.

Some of my highschool classmates were so gifted that they never needed any notebook with them. They computed, derived, and theorized just in their heads. GADD, I can never be like them.

Geometry and Algebra were fine with me but don't ask me about postulates and theorems now because I've forgotten all about them.

ANYWAY!!! After all my story-telling which if you've noticed, always goes back and forth in time, I just wanted to point out that I love words more than I love numbers.

Meanwhile, this guy I love (naks, yihheee! what a segue!) loves his numbers so much that he sometimes computes out loud in the middle of our conversations. Or when I ask him something like how many hours are there in a week just to check if he's listening, he'd come up with an easier solution (which he'd say out loud) and tell me the answer with just a blink of an eye. 168. This is just one of the things he does that amuses me.

And last night when while we were talking over the phone, I said that it's gonna be our "monthsary" soon. (pardon my cheesiness and he probably hates it now that I'm blogging about it). He said "39th". Ahh. Then I played with my fingers and sang this nursery rhyme about months in my head... then said out loud "yup, 39th" ;)





with franco during his younger years ;-)

For the local news, I am still stuck at home. I'm blogging when I should be studying. And I can hear "Scrubs season 5" from the television which means my brother is watching it again. Since we both didn't enter med school, we sometimes have a difficult time keeping up during family dinners when people spurt out these medical terms (whaaat?). The solution: we watch a lot of Scrubs, House MD, and Grey's Anatomy.

For the real local news...

FLORITA
A typhoon even with such a beautiful name is still a typhoon that destroys lives and forms of livelihood.

I was being oh-so-cheery about my personal experiences the whole day yesterday. The gloomy weather couldn't bring me down. I didn't even think that classes would be suspended from where I was because the storm just wasn't that BIG from this particular angle. The same transactions and communications I had with other people seemed normal as if the typhoon was no biggie. But this morning, when I woke up and saw the newspaper lying there on the table, I just had to pause.

Florita killed atleast four persons in the Philippines according to Philippine Daily Inquirer. I think Florita's international code name suits her better: BILIS.

Florita is a deceiving name. It's far from the usual typhoon names that we've been used to (atleast in the Philippines): Ruping, Ading, Bebang... but whether Florita's name was changed to something else, it would still bring the same wrath to people.

Florita sounds lovely but we know it's far from it.

One of the realities of life, Legally Blonde style: not all things with beautiful names are beautiful.

And then right after I wrote this, I found out that other places have such beautiful names for their hurricanes:

NORTHERN HEMISPHERE TROPICAL CYCLONE NAMES

Contributed by the National Hurricane Center

Central North Pacific (from the dateline to 140W)
Akoni Aka Alika Ana
Ema Ekeka Ele Ela
Hana Hali Huko Halola
Io Iolana Ioke Iune
Keli Keoni Kika Kimo
Lala Li Lana Loke
Moke Mele Maka Malia
Nele Nona Neki Niala
Oka Oliwa Oleka Oko
Peke Paka Peni Pali
Uleki Upana Ulia Ulika
Wila Wene Wali Walaka
Each year the next name is just the one following the last from the previous year. Once through a list the next name will be off of the top of the next list.
From: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/B2.html


Lala can be scary too.

Case closed.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheers! more power to you and franco!

and might cyclone lala drench nothing but fields, drown nothing but dams and kill nothing but power lines. hehe, but not anytime soon please ~ still in the middle of my movie marathon at home!

July 13, 2006 1:35 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

thanks pipboy!

I like that... "drench nothing but fields, drown nothing but dams, and kill nothing but power lines". Don't worry, not today. I had my own dose of Scrubs as well.

good luck with everything! *cheers*

Xs: you have this knack of commenting on my posts which others don't choose to comment on and doing otherwise with the rest. ;)

July 13, 2006 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

galeng hun!=)

Talagang ikinalat mo ung aking everyday automatic computations, hehehe...thanks for posting our pic hun. Nice pic with typhoon lala, hehe=)

-Franco

July 14, 2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

WOW!!! you dropped by! haha ;p
thanks hun, mwah!

July 14, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

and yes, kinalat ko pla :p mwah!

July 14, 2006 9:35 PM  

Piso for your thoughts!

<< Home

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons 2.5 License.