http://www.one.org Follow the Brown Rabbit...: philosophy 101

Follow the Brown Rabbit...

In stories we've heard and seen, some followed a White Rabbit that led them to adventure. This time however,you've followed a BROWN one named Padawan. Pada lived in our house,hopped on tiled floor,ate under the table,urinated&defecated by the door leading outside,and outlived 11 others.
I name this Blog after him.The brown rabbit who shared the same skin color as his surrogate family.Resilient&adaptive.Adventurous in his own rabbit way. October 2002 - April 2007

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

philosophy 101


Ling and Kring

My youngest sister's best friend, Kring, came over our house to discuss Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle with me for her Philosophy exam tomorrow. I tried my best to recall my own Philo classes and helped her with the things that I could remember.

Did I ever mention that the Philosophy of the Human Person was one of my ultimate fave subjects in college? :p So even if I had a pile of observations to be transcribed for the research I'm currently helping out with, I was more than willing to extend my help to my "other younger sister". Although admittedly, the topics Kring had in class now were different from the ones I took up so I only helped her a teeny weeny bit.

While helping out Kring, we both saw this quote from the internet and I just had to share it with all of you:

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
- Aristotle


ON A DIFFERENT DAY OF THE WEEK

A LITTLE PUSH AND A LITTLE NUDGE

So much to do. So little time.
For the first time in history, I overslept and was late for class because of oversleeping. And the class was at 5:30PM. Ok, before you judge me, I'll just share how my day went. I was up before 6AM for my research project. I observed from 6:17am until 8:40. And then my partner and I met up with our professor to discuss some issues. And then I had another appointment at 9:30 and a very brief meeting about an article at 10:30. And then I joined the World Youth Alliance discussion and had lunch with my old college blockmate, Tammy Tan, whom I haven't seen since graduation. I missed Tammy and her Tammy-ish way of calling me "Lala Jaraaa" whenever we saw each other. When I got home at around past 3, I fixed some schedules with Franco over the phone, reviewed the rest of my schedules and papers, reviewed my notes for my evening class, and lied down on the sofa to rest for a while... and fell asleep.
When I woke up, it was almost 6pm. Ack!
I literally dashed to school. The few minutes of getting to school was a blur to me. Before I knew it, I was in my class and copying down notes as if I didn't fall asleep at all. Has that ever happened to you?

Now, I have lots of things to finish and I'm asking myself if there's enough time.
But maybe there really is enough time for everything because I still found time to blog.
Ok, now you can judge me :-)

Blogger Dorothy said...

Gash. Magkakamukha kayong lahat! hahaha :O)

August 15, 2006 10:17 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

hahaha! Ling and Ate monica are sometimes mistaken as twins :p

August 16, 2006 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah right..i remember reading through your old posts...i was confused coz you seem to look different everytime.. i thought its just bcoz of the angles..yun pala kapatid mo..heheĆ¼

August 17, 2006 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ako naman philo of religion...nagagamit ko parin ngayon kasi iba iba ang relihiyon ng tao dito..di nila ako mabara =p

August 18, 2006 12:01 AM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

sherlyn, hahaha! sorry for the confusion. Yup, that's my youngest sister. but you know, I think I do look different in person.

Glenn partnah! naks!

August 18, 2006 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, di pa rin tayo nagkukuwentuhan re: philosophy!

imho, heidegger's dasein was the best philo topic i ever took up while i was in college (parang ang tagal na).

literally, dasein translated as "there-being." and when we die, we become the "no-longer-there-being." haha!

quite morbid, but dasein can explain a lot about who we are (the being that is there) and who we should be (as situated in time, we should be mindful of those before and after us). i guess the morbid part got the best out of me so it got stuck in my mind. hehehe

keep sinking!

August 20, 2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

ahh yes, parang I remember that. :) thanks for sharing, RJaY! cge, philo discussions next time, haha

...coz dead men float!

August 21, 2006 10:03 AM  

Piso for your thoughts!

<< Home

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons 2.5 License.