http://www.one.org Follow the Brown Rabbit...: The world is not block and white

Follow the Brown Rabbit...

In stories we've heard and seen, some followed a White Rabbit that led them to adventure. This time however,you've followed a BROWN one named Padawan. Pada lived in our house,hopped on tiled floor,ate under the table,urinated&defecated by the door leading outside,and outlived 11 others.
I name this Blog after him.The brown rabbit who shared the same skin color as his surrogate family.Resilient&adaptive.Adventurous in his own rabbit way. October 2002 - April 2007

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The world is not block and white



This is my friend, Meg.

Meg and I first met during the ORSEM (Orientation Seminar) in Ateneo back in June 2000. And since then, she became one of my good college friends. She has been an oh-so-reliable benchmate who fought for our tables and carried our benches from far away places back to our area thus earning the name "Amazona". She has been my arnis teammate whose left-handedness was an asset to the team. And of course, she has always been one of my favorite divas and musicians (Jewel style) who would sometimes burst into a song wherever we were. ;)

She's in law school right now and would like to focus on issues regarding our environment in the future. (That's my kind of girl!)

I distinctly remember the first time I bonded with her as I was tinkering with her own concoction of a lip balm. (Another thing that bonded us: our being kikay cowboys.)

Anyhoo, we were discussing her love life (ahem2x) while in the library because we still didn't have a bench during the first day of class (haha!). And I guess we ended up bonding about one of the issues that we faced while growing up. We actually shared this with our other blockmate and friend, Therese. Together, the three of us became vocal about this in college: BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL. But then if we really think about it, maybe it should have been a campaign that said "Brown is beautiful". But then if we really THINK about it even more, it should have been a campaign about "learning to love and appreciate what we were born with".



It's funny (actually, NOT FUNNY) that for a people whose ancestors were kayumanggi (slightly dark skinned), we put too much emphasis on wanting to be fair-skinned. Meg grew up getting teased as "Megra". And I had my own share of slight discrimination both during my grade school days and my adolescent years. The most striking was when it was just bluntly said... "but she's too dark!" For a high school student with soaring hormones at that time, my retort to that was "WHAAAAT?". And I immediately wrote something about the issue afterwards. It's still in one of my notebooks somewhere in my drawer at present. I explained there why black (or brown) is beautiful as much as white is.

And now, several years after, I'm blogging about it. ;p

I actually felt that times have changed through the years. Although we still see a lot of whitening products out there (and still a lot of people patronizing them), there are also those who speak up about this issue. For one, there's CAT who I remember to have effectively spoken up/written about this. You can also find her viewpoints in her blog.

Although I don't have enough media mileage for this campaign, I have this little land right here (in my blog) where I am requiring all of you to say to yourself that...

"Black is beautiful."



"Brown is beautiful."




"And variety is beauty in itself."



Isn't the world even more colorful now?



Photos by Louis Fojas
My favorite green earrings courtesy of Sweet (AS walk, UP Diliman)

Blogger Dorothy said...

I couldn't agree with you more!!! My mom is Ilocana, hence until now, she's still obsessed with having fair skin. But me, having gotten her "kayumanggi" skin, has always been proud of my color! (even during the times when being maputi or mestiza is "in" and all those whitening solutions came into the market!) ... I may be dark, but I LOVE my color! :O) ... Let's just put it this way Lala ... let's all go to the U.S. or to Europe ... then we'll see what skin color ang "mabenta!" hahaha :O)

August 10, 2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger nina said...

awww..tama! BLACK/BROWN IS BEAUTIFUL. i used to wish that i could have a fairer skin but as i grew up i learned to love our color that i no longer desire to be fairer but i dont like to be darker as well. feel ko e tamang-tama lng ang kulay ntin! a friend was even encouraging moi to take gluthathione (ang bagong usong whitening pill) but i kindly rejected the idea, simply because i already feel attractive [hahaha!] errr..i mean im already happy with what i have. *winks..

August 10, 2006 11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well let me say it again..brown is beautiful!..
isn't it that whites love the sun and loves sunbathing?! coz they want a tan?!..
and were so lucky we don't have to this to get the perfect tone..
*wink*..

August 12, 2006 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are beautiful lala!!!!
you know what they say..once you go BLACK (err..brown...) you'll never go back!!!!

August 15, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

hahaha!

thanks ladies and glenn! I was supposed to reply that only the ladies seemed to be replying to my posts and guys seemed to be less vocal! haha.
BUT NO, thanks Glenn!

:p

August 15, 2006 1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh hindi naman kasi ako boy eh....CHAROTTTT!!!!=P

August 18, 2006 12:02 AM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

hahahaha! oo nga pla, one of the girls pare!

August 18, 2006 12:24 PM  

Piso for your thoughts!

<< Home

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons 2.5 License.