http://www.one.org Follow the Brown Rabbit...: From Manila to Munich

Follow the Brown Rabbit...

In stories we've heard and seen, some followed a White Rabbit that led them to adventure. This time however,you've followed a BROWN one named Padawan. Pada lived in our house,hopped on tiled floor,ate under the table,urinated&defecated by the door leading outside,and outlived 11 others.
I name this Blog after him.The brown rabbit who shared the same skin color as his surrogate family.Resilient&adaptive.Adventurous in his own rabbit way. October 2002 - April 2007

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

From Manila to Munich

Two Sundays ago, I spent a good hour conversing with my second cousin who came home from Germany. Meet our cousin, Kuya Harald.



He's not sad. He's posing. Now do you see a hint of similarity? ;)

He looks completely German but he is screaming PINOY. If he were on a billboard, the perfect tagline for him would be "I'm Filipino".

If you ask him if he could sing, he'd proudly tell you, "Of course! I'm Filipino!" Then ask him to sing "bahay kubo". I'm assuring you he won't do it. His mom, Tita Ning, made him sing it too much when we were kids. ;)

One time he went to Boracay with his girlfriend, Lina, who is 100% German but loves Pinoy stuff (balut, shopping at 168, and wearing tsinelas among many other things). I am even amazed by her Filipino sounding name.

While at the beach, Lina asked him to put sunblock and Kuya Harald's answer was (with pure kayabangan): "I don't need to wear sunblocker (yes, he really calls sunblock "sunblocker") because I'm Filipino. I don't get sunburnt because I'm Filipino." In Germany, he was proud of himself for being able to walk around under the sun and not getting sunburnt. He would just tell his friends, "I'm Filipino".

But no matter how adorable it was of him to say that he's Filipino and doesn't need a sunblock-er, Filipinos do need sunblock too (especially in the Philippines and at the beach)!
He learned it the hard way. After one day in Boracay without sunblock-er, his face started to peel all over and his pretty girlfriend had the last laugh. Hah, Pinoy pala ah!

Going back to my interesting conversation with him, we endlessly compared stories about our educational systems, language, currencies, telecommunications, work, travels, boyfriend/girlfriend, shoots, islands, and anything that you could think of (including the weather). Imagine not being able to talk to your cousin for several years. (He even thought I was my Ate Monica at the start. I told him I was Lala and he was startled. Yes, it was that long.)

And then I asked him if a lot of people blog in Germany. He said yes but from his tone, I knew that he wasn't a big fan of blogs. For him (and I must emphasize that it's his opinion, not mine), blogs are ridiculous and useless. He thinks that a lot of blogs are just ways for people to keep on writing about themselves (ouch!).

But really, I must say that there are A LOT of meaningful blogs out there. One just has to be discernful. And it's really a "to-each-his/her-own" thing. It's our Freedom of Speech!!! I am guilty of blogging a lot and sometimes writing vague or nonsensical posts that are only useful in the sense that they actually make me feel better afterwards. But sometimes they do make sense, even for just a few readers.

Going back to Kuya Harald, he's staying in Manila until August because he's doing his internship here. They were asked to apply for an internship overseas where the language is English. Among all the English-speaking countries out there, he chose the Philippines. See? How can you not love this guy? (Even if he is not pro-blogging, ;-p)

But really, I am proud of Kuya Harald because he is so proud of and happy about his Filipino lineage. I think he had always been raised that way and would stay like that for the years to come.

To Kuya Harald, although you're not fond of blogs, I'm sure you'd still be amused to know that among the many blogs in the world, you could find one blog post made just for you... And because you're so proud of being PINOY, it's even made in the Philippines!

At pagbalik mo sa Germany, mababasa mo itong pangungusap na ito at maiintindihan nang lubusan. :-D

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANG POOOOOOOOOOOOOGIIIIII!

-carmie

March 29, 2007 8:13 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

Hahahaa! He is (even more in person)! (at naiintindihan niya yung word na "pogi", haha.)

Carms, I'll introduce you guys one of these days ;) lapit naaaaa.

March 30, 2007 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

astig nga ang pinsan mong *pogi*, lala ah. :)

astig din at gumawa ka ng *sweet* entry para sa isang hindi masyadong fan ng pagba-blog. :) dapat punta sya rito lagi sa site mo. :)

(ikaw na bahala mag-translate sa mga di nya maintindihang mga salita dito kapag mapadaan sya... maliban na syempre sa *pogi*)

~*~*~*~
HUGGYS, LALA!

March 31, 2007 7:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OOOOHHHHH... hot cousin!! :D It runs in the blood ha!!!

April 01, 2007 6:42 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

Tien, maraming salamat! :) actually, I havent asked him to visit my site yet but I'll text him to. Sige, ako na bahala sa translation ng reply mo. Funny, yung isang friend ko, nagtranslate agad nung last line... "just in case" daw hindi maintindihan yun. Masyado yata malalim yung Tagalog na ginamit ko. haha.

Mayensky, thanks for dropping by dear! You should meet him. :D

April 02, 2007 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lala!!!

was just browsing through your blog - that´s one hot cousin dear! hahaha. damn, i wont get to meet him. im actually in germany and id be going to munich next week. will be in europe in the next three months (or longer, i hope!). do tell your cuz, mein freundin hat gasagt, dass du gut aus siehst! hehehe. =)

big hugs to you and sarabau!

ANDREA
(www.akosidre.multiply.com)

April 07, 2007 12:05 AM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

WOW! Andrea, you're living the "other life" that I want! hahahaha! :)

ok, i will tell him that, my gosh, what does it mean? :p

Enjoy your travels and I hope to see you soon! wait, how else can I get in touch with you? Will you be somewhere near Greece by the end of June or early July?

April 07, 2007 12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lala!!!

You know i am an opportunist, so i just changed my opinion about blogs and blogging!!! ;-)
Thanks a lot for the nice post. Didn't have enough time to browse your complete blog yet, but i'll do it, for sure! ;-)
I sorry to say that I can't translate what your friend posted in German or maybe I just don't like to.
Anyway we have to go out one of these weeks or maybe when Lina arrives we'll visit your place and Lolo Lita and Lola Setang.
Now, by for now, take care and see you soon my astonishing cousin ;-)!

Your Kuya Harald

April 16, 2007 3:54 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

Kuya Harald! Thanks for dropping by!

Yay, I actually changed your opinion about blogs! That's GREAT! (that was actually my hidden agenda, hahaha) yes, feel free to read through my old posts when you have the time. :)

How come you don't want to translate what my friend wrote? I'm sure it was something good naman, right? Now, I'm rly getting curious, haha! ;-)

See you soon! we'll definitely go out. I'll text you and send details to fay & shasha so we could all meet up! You have to meet Franco too.

Practice your Tagalog na ah! ;D You have lots of amazing months here to look forward to! TC!

April 16, 2007 6:12 PM  

Piso for your thoughts!

<< Home

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons 2.5 License.