http://www.one.org Follow the Brown Rabbit...: it's the nikki post

Follow the Brown Rabbit...

In stories we've heard and seen, some followed a White Rabbit that led them to adventure. This time however,you've followed a BROWN one named Padawan. Pada lived in our house,hopped on tiled floor,ate under the table,urinated&defecated by the door leading outside,and outlived 11 others.
I name this Blog after him.The brown rabbit who shared the same skin color as his surrogate family.Resilient&adaptive.Adventurous in his own rabbit way. October 2002 - April 2007

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

it's the nikki post

Every now and then, I go back to Ateneo to do some research. The last time I visited the Rizal library however was some time last year.

Upon entering the library earlier today, I experienced much "tighter" security. Students nowadays don't just wear their IDs and show the security guards that they're wearing their IDs like we used to. Now, they swipe. Nakana. High tech.

And there I was standing with two heavy bags and a couple of bulky envelopes without an ID to swipe. Luckily one of the guards (there are now 2 of them) knew me by face (I think) because he asked me while checking a bag of another student: "Alumnus?"

I said yes and he asked me to go to the other side where there was a computer just for the alumni. Naks.

I started reading instructions from the computer when one of the manong guards said...
"Ibaba mo muna yung dala mo. Parang hindi ka naman Atenista eh."

"Ah ganun po ba? sanay kse ako buhat ko lang lagi lahat eh."

Nonetheless, I placed my things on the table because 1) they were heavy and 2) well, they were really heavy.

And now there's this computer in front of me asking for details. Hmm, this looks easy.
Step 1: enter details about myself -- name, year graduated, email address, home address, etc.

Manong Guard 1 to Manong Guard 2: "para siyang si Nikki Gil. Akala ko kanina si Nikki Gil."
Lala: "narinig ko yun manong ah."

Manong Guard 2: "Anong year ka na nga ba graduate?"
Lala: "2004 po."

Imagine, three years!

Step 2: choose the topic of query in the library.
Step 3: look at the camera and say cheese.

ERROR.

Manong asked me to type my surname again. I typed "Jara" and my full name came out along with another student's surname, Jaranilla.

"Nilagay na pala nila yung pangalan mo kasi may record ka na..." Manong said while pointing to the people inside the library.

Oh cool. I was already part of the library database.
Nerd.

Step 2 (again): choose the topic of query in the library.
Bakit po walang Psychology?
Ok, sociology then.
Step 3 (again): look at the camera and say cheese.

There you go, Lala Jara, your name and face are now part of the Ateneo library database. Welcome to the Rizal Library. We're watching you closely.

And while I was entering through the second doorway, manong added... "Akala ko kapatid mo si Nikki Gil."

Well yes, I do have a younger sister named Nikki and her surname starts with the "H" sound too. Close enough, manong. Close enough.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was looking at the photos under this post. oh yeah. you do look like her especially the one where you are in a yellow top. =)

hmmm...i never really enjoyed going to libraries. i get more distracted in there. i don't really know why.

anyway, dropping by to give some HUGS back right at you, lala! =)

March 16, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

Maybe you're really into nature trips or the outdoors? The sound of rustling leaves or running water is less distracting than "library silence". ;)

Thanks for thw HUGS dear! :)

March 17, 2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger p said...

those guards must really love their jobs =)

March 18, 2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger Pj said...

you do look like nikki gil.

:D

March 19, 2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

The Philosophical B: Maybe they do. Most probably they do! :)

Pj: haha,ok! :D

March 19, 2007 11:44 PM  

Piso for your thoughts!

<< Home

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons 2.5 License.