http://www.one.org Follow the Brown Rabbit...: Tinola after the Storm

Follow the Brown Rabbit...

In stories we've heard and seen, some followed a White Rabbit that led them to adventure. This time however,you've followed a BROWN one named Padawan. Pada lived in our house,hopped on tiled floor,ate under the table,urinated&defecated by the door leading outside,and outlived 11 others.
I name this Blog after him.The brown rabbit who shared the same skin color as his surrogate family.Resilient&adaptive.Adventurous in his own rabbit way. October 2002 - April 2007

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tinola after the Storm

Things are not going as originally planned. I'm sailing through the days after the storm "Frank" hit us hard in the Philippines.

I read the newspaper and watched the news, seeing the sad news about Frank's victims that ranged from those affected by the floods, a tidal wave in Infanta Quezon, and a sunken ship :( My condolences to all those who lost loved ones and homes...

As for me, Frank bumped off my thesis proposal defense and now I am in limbo, waiting for my panel members to finalize our next schedule.

But the good news is I'm back to blogging! Let's start off with updates that I wasn't able to put up before...


Oi! Oi!




Oi! Hong Kong Style Noodle is now open! Visit the food stall in Starmall MRT Bridgeway. Noodles for P20 only. Noodles with Siomai for P25 only. Mix your own sauce: Oyster, Soy Lemon, Sweet Chili, Teriyaki, and Chili Garlic... And voila! :)


They have tried it! And you should too! :D




Friday the 13th, Happy Opening to FLTI!




Father's Day on a Thursday


I had a date with my dad, which I haven't done in a long time. I accompanied him to the UP Centennial concert entitled "Pamantasang Hirang" at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP). Because we arrived an hour early, we had dinner together near Manila Bay and I took this photo of the sky.




I enjoyed the show especially the dance number by a group of UP Manila students who portrayed the UP Oblation. Watching them from where I sat reminded me of a music box. Their movements were that fluid, precise, and incredulous. I had to remind myself that I was actually watching human beings. They contorted their bodies with such grace, carrying the other and balancing one another, that there were moments that they seemed inhuman. I could just imagine the kind of muscles and discipline they possessed. And my dad whispered to me, humoring me about the show we watch on TV, "So you think you can dance?" Too bad cameras were not allowed. These dancers remain imprinted in my memory at the very least. I hope you get to watch them someday too.

I also enjoyed meeting all my dad's colleagues in medicine, his high school classmates...


his friend in the UP Concert Chorus



the well-known composer/musician Ryan Cayabyab who I didn't expect to be so tall as he physically towered over my dad...


See how he stands out from the crowd?





And also the current UP President, President Roman, who called me "Lala, the official photographer" of my dad and his friends. ;) She then made me have my turn in front of the camera with her granddaughter, Julia, who was also part of the show.
If my dad just took the photo a little bit lower, you'd see how President Roman had her arm around my waist. ;) Such a warm university President.


It was a fun night and I enjoyed hanging out people around my dad's age. And although a lot have been commenting on how young I was, the truth is we all felt so young that night regardless of our ages because we were celebrating something much older than any of us -- U.P. in its hundred years ;)


Zipstahs in Ziggurat


And because we didn't push through with our trip to Highlands due to conflicting schedules (and thankfully we did not push through because Frank the Storm arrived this weekend), my fellow zipstahs and I had dinner in Ziggurat. :D



Jamie and Omar with the menu




Me with my halfie, Jamie Jarabejo, whose fingers I'm using for signing out.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! i know that lady, the president of UP! i did her make up for the article of people asia. You're right she's so nice.

-carmie

June 26, 2008 1:19 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

That's so cool! Yes, she's really nice and warm :) Miss you carm!

June 26, 2008 1:30 PM  
Blogger Dr.Peppermint said...

is that sir edru abraham? i'm not so sure how he looks like now. he was my professor in humanities way back in college. :)

July 07, 2008 6:07 PM  
Blogger ~LALA said...

Hi Doc!

I confirmed with my dad. Yup, he's the one! :) He performed that night and sang a solo number.

July 07, 2008 8:58 PM  

Piso for your thoughts!

<< Home

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons 2.5 License.